Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Being Affirmed by Creator's Trees

This past week I gave a speech at Toastmasters, where I invited my audience to explore the practice of connecting with nature as a way of praying.  I shared my morning prayer practice (although in abbreviated form) of going out of doors and giving thanks for the world I see, and for all of creation listening and hearing me-and that I then ask out-loud about whatever is on my mind that morning. The audience was attentive, but later was some 'light-hearted' joking about praying to the trees. Of course, the doubting part of my psyche went into questioning whether I really might be delusional.

I shared my doubts, questioning that I might actually be 'stupid', with a colleague who reminded me that what I teach and share about comes from ancient wisdom, from many spiritual traditions and cultures.  "Are you calling them 'stupid'?", she challenged.  Still, my inner doubting, simmered on the back burner.  This morning, I opened Richard Rohr's morning meditation and here was another answer to my questioning:

Silence my soul, these trees are prayers.

I asked the tree, "Tell me about God";
then it blossomed.  
Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941), Bengali polymath--poet, playwright, painter, musician
From: Richard Rohr's Meditation: Sabbath -- Mystics and Non-Dual Thinkers: Week 5; Listening Silence

Here was my confirmation-in black and white and in a beautiful chant, as if not only tree, but entire forest were affirming me.  I am humbled and grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are being reviewed by moderator