Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Full Moon and Sacred Space in Texas

I'm in the central plains of Texas on my sister's Wild Type Ranch.  The land here is flat, the expansive pastures brown and dry from the current drought, but the scrub oaks and late spring wild flowers stand in stubborn resilience to the unrelenting wind and heat. Even under the hardship and stress the current drought brings, there is something magical and sacred here.  I've spent the past few days contemplating what it is that stands behind the magic of this place.

The Full Moon is tonight, though I am not sure it could get much larger and fuller than giant orb that hung over the scrub oaks, horses and cattle last night.  As I walked from the main house to my bunk house bedroom up by the cattle chute, the moon cast a silvery shadows on the out-buildings, the cattle and horses out in the pasture, and the big round bales of hay that lined either side of my path. All appeared more silver than black tonight, and seemed to glow in the the moon-dark.   It's a little scarey walking from the main cabin to the bunk house in the dark.  There could be coyotes, skunks, maybe a bobcat or a wild boar lurking out there in the wild, and the night-sounds seem louder and more unfamiliar tonight; I walked up the draw in a heightened state of alertness. 

Maybe it was the moon glow or my heightened awareness, but, I felt as if I had been transported to the magical land of a fairy tale-or into an alternate dimension.  I went to bed last night feeling certain I was in a very special place.  This afternoon, in the daylight, with no threat of coyote or skunk, I'm sitting alone, in the shade of main house arbor, reflecting on my experience from last night.  It strikes me that for my sister, this whole ranch is her Sacred Space.  Carefully, over time, she and her husband, cleared,  nurtured, replenished and honored this landspace. They learned to watch and listen to the subtle messages given by the land.  Things even most gardners would miss, let alone a suburban-girl.  What certain weeds mean about the condition of the soil; how to shift erosion patterns so the land could recover itself...truly seeing the land as a living being.  They are the same in their relationship with the animals-a true example of being in alignement with the cycles and rhythms of life.  My sister's Sacred Space isn't a stagnant-build it one time and it's done- place. Nor should the sacred spaces we create be.  As we care for the space in our own home, or workplace that we have created as a Sacred Space for supporting our personal growth and development, we care for nurture ourselves and all manner of what supports our life. 

This ranch, by it's nature requires an honoring of the rhythm and cycle of life.  I don't think my sister needs reminded by the full moon to birth her visions, and let go of the ones that have languished.  Being here, though has caused me to deeply reflect upon what I am call to birth and to release, and in this fifth cycle of the year, the cycle invites us to listen for what is being said beyond the spoken word and honor and care for ourselves as sacred beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are being reviewed by moderator