Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Anything exposed to light...the Rule of Light

Anything exposed to light will become light.  If you don't believe it-look at how the sun causes color to fade.  I noticed this on my nice dark red couch that sat in front of my picture window.  After a year of sun exposure, the top of the couch is pink, the under-cushions still their original dark red.  I'm well aware, this quote from Ephesians (5:13-15) is not referring to the sun's ability to fade things.  But, rather, I use this visual reminder to keep myself willing to continue to expose myself to the Light so it is able shine upon the more difficult and dark parts of my life.  I know that over time, these parts of myself will become less dark and my life will lighten up.  What I need to remind myself of is to be disciplined in my asking for this Light in my life. Through any effort I make, no matter how small, to sit in prayer and contemplation every day, I am placing myself in the Light (I expose myself). My life will lighten up, even if only at a snail's pace.  I have to be willing to put myself where I have any chance at all to receive light.  All manner of life offers Light: people, situations, media, places, objects, behaviors, attitudes. The only variable is my willingness or unwillingness to expose myself to what is.

Sometimes the Light we already have and are is called upon to be a tool for bringing Light to our life experiences. I am reminded of this by my sister's experience yesterday. By the way she became willing to be a tool of Light in a situation that required a very big sacrifice, she demonstrated trust in the 'Rule of Light'.  It might take years for her ongoing willingness to be the Light for her situation to become light, but it will over time, with certainty, become Light.  On a very mundane and superficial level, my red, now pink, sofa confirms this as true. All that is needed is patience and the willingness to continually practice exposing oneself to the Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are being reviewed by moderator