Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Religious versus Spiritual as it relates to my Circle of Self

I did get some feedback about my last post.  Some who read my blog know I am an ordained minister through the seminary where I taught a number of years ago.  So, to them, it was odd that I would even write about being religious. Hadn't I already made that pronouncement when I was ordained?  Not really.  It has only been in the last year or so that I have begun to think of myself this way.  I was ordained under a church whose purpose was for 'spiritual healing', and I thought of myself as 'spiritual' and my ordination more about offering 'healing energy'.
It has only been during the past few years, particularly the last 22 or so months, when I began working more deeply with my own self-sabotaging behaviors, did I come to a place where I was confronted by how I was living, or not living, as a 'spiritual person'.  The difference, I think, is this: I am a spiritual being and I am a religious person.  I made a commitment to living all the aspects of my life in alignment with my understanding of my purpose. When I made that decision and that commitment, I accepted that more was being asked of me in terms of aligning my will to the will of God/Creator/Divine One/Higher Power.  Something changed inside of me, and in the way I perceived the world.  What I had previously called a spiritual practice shifted somehow to become deeper, more profound, and yes more demanding.  While I do not wear a 'habit' or a robe or collar to show my 'religious commitment,  I hope the way I live my life slowly shows as a visible example of what it means to live in accountability to the Divine One, to the Creator of All.  My life path is to re-align my self, returning my own individual cell of the Body of God,(unique and always with room for improvement, and hopefully humble) back to it's Owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are being reviewed by moderator