Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Why I live by the light of the moon-and other moon insights


 
 
Someone asked me recently why I chose moon cycles as a part of the Circle of Self Process for my website. Early influence came from working with my teachers Anuhea Meyers and Lynn Crowe when they came to the Chicago area and held Women's Circle here.  Then, I found Jamie Sams book 13 indigenous Clan Mothers (see resources) and when I was blessed to do vision quest work with Jorge Arenivar over the course of six or seven years, Jamie's writing came alive as I sat those days and nights 'on the hill'.  So, I summarized a few of the reasons working with the rhythm and the cycles of the moon is part of my daily (nightly) life as well as the Circle of Self Program:
 
1.  Seeing the moon in the sky at night reminds me to live more and more as my true self. The moon, if she were a thinking, feeling, knowing being (and maybe she is, as there is consciousness in all things) would recognize she is not the source and creator of her light. She is rather a vessel for the light to reflect forth. We too, are not the source of our own light. Our talents,  purposes and abundance are bestowed upon us as gifts and callings from The Divine One.
2.The moon reflects out that which is reflected to her. We, as human beings, do that as well-to those around us, and to ourselves when we look deeply at ourselves in a mirror. Life also reflects back to us, when we see in others that which we need to see in ourselves.
3.The moon has cycles and rhythms. So do we. The moon does not try to change her cycles to be different then they are. Her cycles are uniquely her own, regardless of how they fall in the month, the season, the year. Her cycle is her cycle and is not influenced by what day of the month it is. When I am outside in the dark of night and notice the moon, she brings awareness of where I am in my own cycle of life. When I align with my rhythm, I stop fighting life as much as would be my usual tendency. I can shift the discomfort from being out of rhythm with what is around me in my life. I can re-sync myself.
3.The changing light of the moon reminds me there is just enough light to see what is needed at the moment; that more light can come and that light also goes dim. When I learn to live with the ebb and flow of light, I can live more easily with the ebb and flow of life. Then, my inner wisdom is enriched. I learn to stop striving so much for what is not yet ready to come into view, and be still long enough for my eyes to adjust to the light that is present to see what is before me in the moment.
4. The moon rules the tides. Her pull is not so much felt in our personal awareness, it is subtle, yet steadfast, and immensely powerful in her effect. She is a constant and ever present reminder of rhythms, and of the perpetual shifting of rhythms in life, in us.
5. Our monthly menstrual cycle was named for the moon. In the time before artificial light, our menstrual cycles were aligned with moon cycles. The moon's rhythm helps me stay connected to the more subtle cycles of my post- menopausal body. 
 
 
carolyn
 
Dr. Carolyn J. Faivre MS, PhD, LCPC          
Knowledge | Hope | Balance | Change

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are being reviewed by moderator