Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I Hate the Time Change/ Disruptions in Rhythm


Five days into the falling-back time change:  I’m still not back in my rhythm.  I hate the early darkness and the earlier light.  I hate the time change in the spring, too.  Both disrupt my rhythm.  Both are manmade manipulations of time.  But I am REALLY HATING this one!
When I sit with my reaction to the time change, I am frankly surprised:  resentment, anger, frustration.  I feel like I am a victim with no recourse or way to manage what is happening. This arbitrary, out dated, imposed adjustment of the clock infuriates me. 
I began writing this blog post on Monday, noticed what seemed an unreasonably strong reaction, so I set it aside to simmer-down for a day or so.  Now, on Wednesday, I’m still grumbling, still feeling exhausted and out of my rhythm.  Being out of my rhythm underlies my feelings.  There was a comfort in writing in the early morning darkness of the past couple of months.  Now, the morning is star is gone from sight when I get up and my writing rhythm seems gone from access as well. Antsy and irritable are my primary feelings.  I can’t change the time change and I have no serenity about it.  And the more I write the madder I get.
Underneath:  With the time change I became disconnected from a rhythm which was supporting me.  By using what Gabriele Lusser Rico refers to as ‘clustering’ in her book ‘Writing the Natural Way’  (I call it spider-webbing) I diagram what is connected to ‘disruption of rhythm’.  With just a few words I know what is underlying my disconnection:  the time change is a stand-in for other things in my life that are challenging my commitment to writing.  My doing things differently is a hard adjustment for my spouse.  It is easier to be upset with the time-change than with his sometimes not so subtle push and pull at my change in behavior (getting up earlier and spending more time in my work).  How much space is there in my rhythm to negotiate multiple needs without losing myself, my intentions, my goals, my needs?  

This reminds me of the best-selling inspirational book: ‘Who Moved My Cheese?’ Spencer Johnson (1998).

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are being reviewed by moderator