Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Humble Story of aligning My Will in Action


I have a confession:  Last night as I was writing my blog posting on the big ‘We’ of living in alignment with Divine/God’s Will, I had a difficult time putting into useful and truthful words the different ways the three ways of being with ‘will’ express themselves in life.  What I most wanted to do was say my favorite swear phrase, shut the computer off and over-ride my daily blogging commitment.  I persevered, asking myself which position of my will was active: self will, other’s will or God’s will?  After all, this was a perfect example for exploring the use of will, but being in the throes of my inner conflict, I couldn’t see this clearly at the time. 

What this brings to mind is how in many situations, each of these ways of being in our will is active.  The bottom line is which of these directs our action.  In this situation, I wanted to keep my commitment to write daily so I would look good to others and not let Circle of Self Muse readers down, or let myself down, yet one more time (an example of alignment with other’s will and my will, mostly my will).  Thoughts rushed in: of self-criticism about the irrelevance of my blogging and to just quit because I am wasting my time with all this commitment crap, and how I’m a terrible writer and can’t even remember clearly the roles of the will, blah, blah, blah (a great example of negative self will). 

Just then my husband came into my office and asked when I was coming up to bed, “sigh”, a perfect example of the pull of ‘other’s will’.  I felt my upper back and jaw stiffen. ”I’m finishing my blog”, I hissed through gritted teeth.  To top this off, I was attempting to tap into the God’s will part of my posting, and now I’m just feeling imposed upon and pressured.  All the leftover conflicts and unfinished conversations with my husband of the past week came to the forefront of my mind, including our intention to have the night be a date night.  My heart shrunk into itself, and my shoulders became as a cocoon surrounding it in protection.  At that point, I remembered to take a very deep and slow breath.  I said, ‘God, I want to finish this post in a good enough way and go to bed with my husband.’  I sat at the keyboard for a few minutes, quiet, waiting for inspiration.  Then I wrote what I wrote and pushed the publish tab, a humble example of an intention to align with God’s will.  If no words had come, I would have shut down my computer and gone to bed, that would also have been a humble intention to align with God’ will, letting go of my own need for keeping an arbitrary, though commendable, commitment. 

I went to bed with a more open-heart, feeling both loved and loving, and with an unclenched jaw (preventing an otherwise guaranteed morning headache).  Blessings all around…

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are being reviewed by moderator