Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

Speaking on Depression

Tomorrow I will speak at a Stand Down for Homeless Veterans in Peoria.  My topic is dealing with depression in difficult times.  I recognize I have not ever been homeless, or a veteran.  I have however, struggled with the pain of losing a home or two that have been dear to me, and I know what it is like to have been married to a veteran and live in a military community. So I have a narrow line of connection.  I hope I am able to meet those who come to hear me in a present and humble way.  I am not even sure any will come.  But I have prepared a few thoughts on depression anyway. 

Depression:
Initially it can be a coping mechanism, a normal response to an untenable situation.  It can be a way to reset our system, insist on rest and restore balance.

Or, it can become a habituated response to stress.

Or, it can get tangled up in chemical imbalance-neurological misfiring-alcohol or drug abuse-cyclical hypo- or hyperglycemia-allergies.

Or chronic fatigue-isolation-loneliness-hunger-trauma that never gets resolved-repetitive exposure and remembering...all leading to a loss of sense of self.

Depression is pressing down 'something' in our lives.  It takes energy to press down that which we can not or will not face or resolve.  It takes energy to live our lives fully.  The more we use our energy to keep things 'depressed'.  The less we have to live our lives.  It is a vicious spiralling downward cycle.

Coming out of depression successfully can require very small steps to gently and carefully let up that which we have depressed, so we are not overwhelmed.  Or it can resolve after a night of soulful, deep and gut wrenching wailing-followed by  heart-y, belly-full laughing followed by deep sleep.  I have had both depression leave both of these ways and supported others in having their depression release in both these ways, as well. 

I have also witnessed those who could not believe what Joseph Marshall III writes about in Keep Going: that the weakest step is stronger than the fiercest storm.  These dear ones cling to depression like a life line. And perhaps it is.

I am prepared to talk about these ideas. But I truly do not know what to expect, and mostly I want to listen, and be present and humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are being reviewed by moderator